Wednesday, March 26, 2008

Two memes in one day!

This time it's a Book Meme, and Claudia (and Mr. Puffy) tagged me :-)
I love reading so this one will be easy (I hope). My two favorite pastimes are reading and knitting, but not necessarily in that order. Right now I am more 'obsessed' (for want of a better word) with knitting, but I've usually always got a book on my bedside table that I read when I go to bed. I like to unwind for an hour and read knitting magazines and a few chapters from a book. I'm in a book club that was started in my old neighborhood and we meet at each others homes once a month.

Claudia's meme differed slightly to the one she was tagged with, but I checked the one she mentioned and to be honest I don't think I can remember what I last read on a plane or a road trip so I'll stick with Claudia's questions and answer those. Actually that last question is easy now that I think of it, I don't read on road trips, it makes me feel sick in the car!!!!!!

So, here are the questions:
1. What book are you currently reading.
After saying all that above about always having a book on my bedside table, I have to admit I am not reading anything right now! I just finished our book club read last week (and we had our meeting last Thursday). The book was 'Peace Like A River' by Leif Enger. I will start reading Beach Road by James Patterson as soon as I receive it in the mail, which should be any day now. This is book club pick for April. I will usually pick a book I want to read and read that AND the book club pick within that month. But I've been knitting so much lately that I'm really only finding the time to read the book club pick.

2. When you think of a good story, what are the first 3 books that come to mind.

I'm surprised at myself for mentioning this book, but I really have to put it up there as one of the best books I've read in a long time. What surprises me is that when this book was suggested as a read last year in our book club, I kind of groaned (inwardly,I might add) because I didn't think it was a book I would enjoy. It certainly wasn't a book that I would ever consider reading if I didn't HAVE to. But I made a commitment to the book club back then that whether I liked the suggested read or not, I would do my very best to finish it so I could join in fully with the discussion. Believe me when I tell you there have been some books picked that I just could NOT get through no matter how hard I tried. In my opinion life is too short to be reading a book that you really aren't enjoying. Too many good books out there, and of course there's always knitting to do too! I'm not very good at writing reviews, and I can't even tell you really why this book made such an impact on me at the time. I just know that while I was reading the book, and even for weeks after I kept thinking of the two main characters alot. It was almost like they were real, and when I wasn't reading the book I'd be wondering to myself "what are they doing right now", as if their lives were still going on even while I wasn't reading them - if you know what I mean?!

My Sister's Keeper - Jodi Picoult. Such a controversial topic. This was the first Jodi Picoult book I read and so far still the best. But I like a lot of her books. I heard from a friend today that this movie will be showing on Lifetime next month on April 12th.

The Kite Runner - Khaled Hosseini. Another book club book that I didn't think I would like, but really enjoyed.

3. Which 3 books would you recommend for Summer 2008 beach reading.
Well, that would depend on what kind of books you like. I'm sure a lot of books I like might not appeal to most people. I like easy reading and often times 'chick lit' for summer reads. I'd probably say:
Any book by Jodi Picoult
The Yada Yada Prayer Group series
Water For Elephants - Sara Gruen (read this in January for book club and really enjoyed it).

4. Any knitting books you care to share?

The Friday Night Knitting Club. It was a fun read and I've heard Julia Roberts will be starring in the movie this coming Summer (or perhaps later due to the writers strike?)

So there ya go. I hope I didn't bore you all too much. I think I 'waffled' on quite a bit!

5 comments:

Ginnie said...

I just finished The Friday Night Knitting Club--the first "knitting novel" I've read. It was good--I didn't expect it to be such a tearjerker:)

Mr Puffy's Knitting Blog: said...

I just loved that. Thanks for sharing those books. I completely know what you mean about certain characters staying with you even when the book is done. You are the second person I know who actively participates in a book club. That kinda surprises me as I never hear about these things working in practice.

peaknits said...

I love, love most of the books you mentioned - The Road really surprised me too! I think it is actually The Tenth Circle by Jodi Picoult on Lifetime - My Sister's Keeper is being made into a movie for the big screen - curious how that will translate - Jodi herself said she does not like the first ending the producers chose - hmmm. Water for Elephants was great and I even ran out and gor Sarah Gruen's other two - thumbs up!

Philigry said...

oh, thanks for sharing! my mom read the friday night knitting club and loved it.
i just noticed we share all the same favorite movies!

Ally Jay said...

I loved The Friday Night Knitting Club, and Water for Elephants. another knititng book series is The Shop on Blossom street and A good Yarn both by Debbie Macomber.