Friday, August 10, 2007

Knitting Fiend!

I mentioned on my 'daily blog' that I had been itching to start knitting something for myself this week. I know I'm doing the sock, but going round and round with knit3, purl1 was just getting a bit monotinous for me and I felt like more of a challenge. I will of course continue with the sock/socks, but in the meantime I am making HUGE progress on the top I finally chose to knit.

And it was no easy choice either - it took me days to find something I actually thought I would wear once I knit it (unlike this top that I knit last summer and haven't been seen out in public with it on once!)


It's not that I don't like the top, I think it's quite cute, but I have never gotten round to buying a flesh colored bra (with clear straps) that I can wear underneath. And I'm not a 'layers' kind of gal, so I don't want to put it on top of another cami or t-shirt. So for now it sits in the drawer - waiting.

But here is what I did pick - it's called Sahara and I bought the pattern on StichDiva. I have also seen this pattern featured on the 'SexyKnittersClub' blog. I have to say the way this is knit is totally alien to me. I have never knit a top from the top down. I was totally baffled by the pattern once I got it and read it. In fact if I could have read it before I bought it I probably wouldn't have bought it! It sounded so totally complex to me. But I'm glad to say that as I knit and then read the pattern, it is all making a little more sense to me, and as you can see from the picture I've already got the top knitted up to the armholes (or down to the armholes!)- and I only started this on Wednesday. Yes! I'm a knitting fiend and I just can't stop.

I went to my LYS on Wednesday night after Jason got home from work. I took my time chosing a yarn that would work with the gauge (with huge help from the store owner Pat), and because it was 'Chicks with Sticks' night, I actually sat there for a couple of hours, knit up a swatch and then cast on. A provisional cast on I might add too, another thing I have never even tried before. I tell ya, I just amaze myself sometimes, ha ha :-)

The yarn is Classic Silk (50% cotton, 30% silk, 20% nylon) by Classic Elite Yarns. The color is #6904 (it doesn't have a name on the label) but it looks true to the picture, a nice fresh aqua color. I had intended to knit the whole thing in the same yarn, but I may end up looking for a contrast yarn to do around the neck.

As for my sock, well it's on the back burner just for a few days ;-)

5 comments:

Kara said...

Sahara is a great choice--very wearable. It is looking just fab.

a friend to knit with said...

I love Sahara.......I bought the pattern, but have yet to buy the yarn.
The pink top is too cute........get yourself the right bra and start wearing it! :)

Carrie said...

Totally impressed. That is going to be gorgeous! Can't wait to see it finished!
God bless :)

Knitterella said...

Hey, I just bought Sahara too! I have some black Berroco Cotton Twist in my stash that I plan to use for it. Your yarn choice is great. Pretty color and the silk will be awesome!

Is that a Butter Fly top that you wearing from your last summer knit? That is another one I want to try!

Look forward to seeing your Sahara!
Jill

Knitserland said...

That top is coming along very nicely! The color is great, good choice.

The top down thing is fun once you get going on it. I didn't think I would like it at first but now I just think it makes for a great styled knit top. I have more squared off shoulders so I'm not a huge fan of the dropped shoulder look. Plus this eliminates so much seaming!

Keep on knitting and post more pictures soon! You're doing awesome!