Monday, January 5, 2009

it came in the mail

Don't you just love when you get yarn in the mail? I ordered this the other day when I saw a pattern on Ravelry that I wanted to knit (another Christmas gift!).

The yarn is 'Dream In Color - classy, the color is called Lipstick Lava. It's the actual yarn the pattern calls for - yay :-) It's hard to get a true color of it when taking photos. It probably looks a little darker than in the photo but it does have a hint of purple running through it. The recipient likes shades of red which is why I picked this color. I've never knit with this yarn before and I'm dying to cast on with it!


The pattern is Hedwig Owl Cowl, available as a Ravelry download for $3.50 (you can click on the photo above to go directly to the website of the designer ). My nephew's wife is a huge Harry Potter fan so I thought this would be a fun gift for her. The pattern calls for only half a skein, so I'm wondering if I will have enough yarn left over to make THESE mittens? They would make rather a cute set if I could.

I'm nearly finished the Sirdar baby cardigan and hat (the hat is complete, just needs the flower) so I might allow myself to cast on for the cowl tonight!

9 comments:

CelticCastOn said...

ahh those mitts are on my list of knits sooo cute.
Hopefully you'll have enough left over! Enjoy the yarn :)

Ren said...

what a cute cowl! i sure hope you have enough left over for the mittens, too! : )

Anonymous said...

oh the owls, the owls! How we love the owls. Have you seen Wazz's soon to be available sweater on Rav? So so sweet!

Anonymous said...

Oh, that is really cute! I love that the buttons are all different. Smooshy is so nice to work with.

Claudia Bugh said...

That is so ADorAble! Great pattern find ~ I have heard so many great things about that yarn I must pick some up!

Sam said...

Very cute! I've been dying to try out this yarn - it looks so pretty.

Anonymous said...

That would be an adorable set! I hope you do have enough yarn for the mittens too..

Kara said...

That owl cowl kills me. So cute!

Susan B. Anderson said...

HI Denise,
You only need one skein of yarn to make a heart washcloth if you don't want a contrasting color for the edging.

Any type of cotton will work, you don't have to use the chenille. Sugar-n-Cream would be fine.

I will put up a link to the soap when I post the pattern.

Thanks for writing.
susan