Wednesday, November 26, 2008

Bake-A-Long!

No knitting content in this post I'm afraid. This is mainly a picture shoot for Claudia ;-) (and anyone else that wants to see how you bake a 'Christmas Cake'.

Ready to get started....


My little helper . . . look at the concentration on her face!


Kristen helped crack the eggs and weigh out all the fruit . . . but the best part for her was licking the spoon, or in this case the whisks!


She took this picture of me, just to show I 'helped' too . . .


Ready for the oven. . . .


And here's my cake out of the oven (upside down in this pic, as I'd just poured a tablespoon of brandy in to the holes I made on the bottom)

So now we 'feed' the cake each week (which is adding a tablespoon, or more, in to the holes on the bottom of the cake). Next week I'll cover the cake with marzipan, which will not effect the feeding, then a few days before Christmas I will decorate it with icing.

Claudia, fyi - I baked my cake for 3 hours at 225 like the recipe said, but after 3 hours it was very 'uncooked'! so I turned up the heat to 275 and baked a further 45 minutes. I was worried it might still be undercooked when I took it out of the oven that night, but the next day it was very firm to the touch. . . . so of course now I'm worried it's over cooked! Time will tell ;-)


9 comments:

tiennie said...

Yum!!! Happy thanksgiving to you!

Annie said...

Ok, so maybe I would try your Christmas Cake especially if you keep pouring brandy on it :)
Happy Thanksgiving !

Kelly said...

ahhhh the ole christmas cake!
Haven't had one of those in a loooooooooong long time!

amanda said...

Looks like you had a great day baking! Yay for licking the spoon!

Ann said...

The cake looks yummy ! Happy Thanksgiving.

MrPuffy said...

You are the best!!!!! What fun to actually see how a pro does it - and now I know if mine doesn't come out it's because I didn't have a little helper to help me :)

Do I gather that you did not pre-soak your fruit in brandy? I used almost a full bottle to presoak mine ~ whoo hoo ~ LOL

I feel slightly better that you also had to cook your cake longer at a higher temp - except I cooked mine for an additional 2 hours. Still hopefully it will be okay, but then I'm an optimist my nature.

Thanks for all your help and fun post!

lucky knitter said...

Oh, looks like it will be delicious!

a friend to knit with said...

oh yumm!
i have never made one before.

hope your thanksgiving was wonderful. my mother was here, and she was putting together her red hat bag! :)

kim said...

Oh, she looks so adorable helping her mommy! What a great tradition.