Monday, April 28, 2008

Great sewing. . . not so good pics!

Well, I had a fabulous day yesterday at sewing class, and I am now the proud owner of a brand new Brother Sewing Machine! The one I was using which was a singer was a pretty cheap model and it wasn't working right because I seemed to have the wrong spool in it, and also the metal piece that you put your bobbin of thread on to wind on to your spool snapped off a long time ago so I had attached it with tape. The tape was making the bobbin fit on there way too tight which was affecting the tension of the thread. All in all it was a (cheap) machine that I never enjoyed using so I bought a nice new one today. It made a world of difference.

I am amazed at the machines today. The one I bought even threads my needle for me AND can cut your thread at just the touch of a button. You don't even need to push a peddle with your foot (if you don't want to). Pull out the foot cord and you can just push a button instead and off it goes sewing for you! For all you seamstresses out there, I'm sure this is nothing new to you, but it really amazed me :-)

So here's a few shots of my new 'lounge pants'. I took these pics outside and it's hard to see the print on the fabric. Suffice to say it's pretty cheap fabric (I classed today as a practice run and didn't want to spend a lot on fabric) but they turned out pretty good.

Very comfortable I must say.


Now I want to try the Amy Butler pattern and compare the feel and fit of them!



21 comments:

sheepish one said...

nice job denise!
do you know what is so ironic? on friday, i bought fabric for the apron featured in "in stitches", and i just cut out the pieces tonight.
i think the two of us are easily influenced by all of these great bloggers we read.

Anonymous said...

Oh my word! You're a quick learner! You'll be a master seamstress before you know it at this rate.

peaknits said...

They look great! Can't wait to see the Amy Butlers:)

Lisa said...

I love them. They look awesome.

Anonymous said...

Bravo! They look great!

Anonymous said...

Clever you! Sewing can be fun since as you say, you don't have to wait days or weeks, you can make things in a day or few hours. I think this is something you'll really enjoy. Your new sewing machine sounds wonderful, it's amazing the things they can do these days with threading needles and such. My machine is a Bernina and it's been a terrific machine...love it. So what are you making next week? Do you do it all in the actual class, or will you also be set things to try at home? Make sure you share your projects so we can see what you've made. Well done on the first one, you did a great job!

Knitterella said...

Wow! That was fast. They look great! So glad you got yourself a new machine!

I have a pair of the Amy Butler Lounge Pants and they are great. Really wide legged and comfy.

Anonymous said...

Those are totally cute! Great job!

Ann said...

Your new sewing machine sounds great - self threading - that's what I need as I have an antique Singer. Great looking pants - look so comfortable.

Anonymous said...

Very cute - great job!

Anonymous said...

and she sews, too! i am impressed....and i've got some cute amy butler fabric--makes me wanna learn to sew pillows.....

a friend to knit with said...

i love the sound of your new machine!
i really need a new one too. mine sounds like a machine gun. really. it is awful!
i LOVE your new lounge pants. you did a fantastic job......and wow! what a quick learner!!

Mr Puffy's Knitting Blog: said...

Very impressive! You are off to a great start :) Maybe think about sewing aprons. I love those vintage material types. I think it would be fun to make matching mother and daughter aprons!

Robin said...

Congrats on the new machine! Great job on the lounge pants - they look like they turned out very well and fit you nicely!

Sarah said...

Love the pajama pants! I would love to learn to sew.

Virtuous said...

Luv them!!

The 1st thing I do when I get home is strip out of my "street" clothes and right into PJs or lounge clothes!! :o)

Melissa said...

Denise, I love the lounge pants! You must be so excited with your new machine to make the AButler ones! I must say I am a bit jealous of your new machine....I am in need of new one- not like you were though. Hope to see more of your sewing projects! Heather Bailey just did an article on her blog about the machines she has used over the years.

www.heatherbailey.typepad.com

I have been to your blog before, I love all the beautiful things that you knit! I can't wait to see your latest knit project complete, your amazing.

Philigry said...

love those! they look great! aren't they just so darn comfy?

Anonymous said...

Your pants look fantastic!
Your raving about your new sewing machine makes me long for a new one too. I am still using the cheap Kenmore I bought myself 5 years ago.

Ren said...

congrats on the new sewing machine and the pants look great! : )

Anonymous said...

They are great! You've inspired me! I've been wanting some summer jammie/lounge pants for the longest time. Occasionally I look at what's available in stores but they're usually made with cheap fabrics, terrible prints, etc. I don't need to go pants shopping, I need to go fabric shopping!